I made a pot of baingan bharta for some friends to enjoy before they left town. I followed my original recipe adding some king oyster mushrooms. This meal looked awesome!! Lots of different textures. And the added mushrooms and thick onion slices made it a bit heartier than round 1. Cheers to Rachel, Landon, and Atticus.
- 1 large eggplant
- 1/2 lb king oyster mushrooms, sliced into rounds
- 1 onion, sliced into half moons
- garlic, minced
- chili powder, 1/2 t
- garam masala, 1 1/2 t
- tumeric, 1/2 t
- olive oil
- frozen peas, ~1 c
- 14 oz can of fire roasted tomatoes (I use petite diced with roasted garlic)
- pita, to serve
- Preheat oven to broil. Brush eggplant with olive oil and place on the bottom rack of the oven and cook turning as skin starts to blacken. Once eggplant is soft and fully blackened run under cold water. Cool, peel, and mash. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet heat up some olive oil and add the onion. Cook until tender and slightly browned. Add the spices and garlic.
- Add can of tomatoes and mushrooms, mix well, and cook until tender and liquid is slightly reduced.
- Add eggplant mix well and cook for a few minutes. Taste test and adjust seasonings if necessary. I only needed a bit more salt.
- Lastly add the peas and cook until tender.
- Serve with pita.