I’m not a huge fan of cream sauces but this one was amazing! Goat cheese feta melted into a cream sauce with a little bit of hummus stirred in.. the perfect amount of richness without being too much. I chose to use half of the liquid as water and the other as half and half to keep the heavy factor down. It was the perfect trick. Originally I was going to stir in tahini but when I saw the roasted garlic hummus in the fridge I decided to switch gears for the extra flavor boost.
I used a new brand of gluten free pasta for this meal coming from the refrigerated section in the grocery store, RP’s Pasta Company. It was recommended by another store customer and it did not disappoint. And compared to many of the other brands this one was reasonably priced, under $4. Definitely one I will continue to use. I sautéed two medium local eggplants with garlic, onion, fresh rosemary, fresh basil, and fresh oregano – plenty of flavor! I also added in some olive oil packed sun-dried tomatoes and kalamata olives. And lastly for a little more protein I threw in a few falafel balls I had purchased at the store.
This meal was definitely a treat. As I mentioned I’m sticking to a more low carb diet right now enjoying a meal or two a week, like this, that doesn’t fall under my typical diet. Yum!
Eggplant Pasta with Feta Cheese Sauce (3 servings)
- 9 oz linguini, I used RP’s Pasta Company linguini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 medium eggplant, chopped
- fresh basil, chopped
- fresh rosemary, chopped
- fresh oregano, chopped
- 4 sundried tomatoes packed in olive oil, chopped
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 oz feta, I used goat’s milk feta
- 2 tablespoons hummus, I used roasted garlic hummus
- 6 falafel balls
- Over medium high heat in a large pan add the olive oil. Once warm add the onion and cook 5 minutes until starting to brown. Add the eggplant and garlic continuing to cook. Stir in the basil, rosemary, and oregano. Season with s&p. Cook until eggplant is soft. Stir in sundried tomatoes, kalamata olives, and falafel. Set aside.
- Make feta sauce. In a pot over low heat melt the butter. Once melted stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute, mixing. Add in the milk and water stirring until smooth. Raise heat to medium and simmer 1 minute. Add in the feta and hummus, simmer 2 more minutes and reduce heat to low stirring until the cheese has melted and sauce is smooth. Season with s&p.
- Meanwhile cook pasta according to directions.
- Add pasta to eggplant and toss. Pour sauce in and allow to cook over low heat until completely heated through, a few minutes.