Josh’s mama was in town and we decided to make her a veggie pot pie. I have made one similar to this before and this one was better than the last.
- Red Potatoes
- Frozen Corn (blanched and frozen from the farmer’s market)
- Frozen Peas
- Dried Savory (2 T)
- Dried Thyme (1 t)
- Fresh Oregano
- Can Mushroom Soup (I like Amy’s Semi-Condensed)
- Veggie Bouillon (1 T)
- 1/2 C Half and Half (because this is what I had)
- ~1 1/2 T Sifted Spelt Flour
- Fresh Bread
- Fresh Oregano
- 2 T Butter
- Pie Shell
- Boil the potatoes and turnip in salted cold water. Cool and Chop.
- Chop all veggies. Heat oil and sauté garlic, onion, and celery about 5 minutes. Add broccoli, tatsoi. carrot, shrooms, and frozen veggies; cook for another 10 minutes until they start to soften. Then add the potatoes, turnip, cream of mushroom soup, savory, thyme, oregano, S&P, veggie bouillon, and half and half. I didn’t measure the spices but just kept adding them until I like the smell, the amounts given above are approximations. Once everything is combined and veggies are tender crisp sift in 2 T of spelt flour, mix thoroughly, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Pulse fresh bread slices in the food processor until you have two cups. I leave it somewhat chunky. Melt 2 T butter with the fresh oregano in it. Once melted remove from heat and add breadcrumbs to coat them all with the butter.
- Add the filling to the pie shell and then press the bread crumbs into the pie so they form a crust. I stuff my pie shells until they just about overflow, this one did a bit.
- Bake at least 30 minutes until heated through, bubbling at the sides, and brown on top.