I made this two days in advance and let the flavors meddle in the fridge. I spiced it a little heavily for my tastes but it was still the right flavors and enjoyable!
A hearty dal served with rice and naan.
- Fresh Ginger, peeled and grated
- Parsley (because I had it)
- Cumin Seeds
- Black Mustard Seeds
- Serrano Pepper
- Lime Juice
- Yellow Split Mung Dal
- Soak dal for ~2 hours and then wash until rinse water is clear.
- Chop onion and garlic.
- Warm oil in a pot and add the cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Once they start to pop add all the spices including onion, garlic, cilantro and parsley. Add a bit of water as well. Sauté shortly, be careful not to burn spices.
- Stir in the beans and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add water, S&P, and bring to a boil on high heat. Reduce heat to medium low and let the soup simmer until the beans have dissolved.
- Season more if necessary.
I didn't put the water amount as I added too much, which wasn't a problem I just boiled it off. I ended up adding a bit of honey to my bowl to mellow out the spice.
Ready to Serve