Just as summer comes to a close the cooler mornings start to set in. This makes me a bit sad but I also enjoy the seasons and look forward to what fall has to offer.. pumpkin patches, harvesting at local farms, apples, the general cheerfulness in the air as the holidays start to approach, and more. Of course all this comes as the garden starts to go [insert my sadness]. We all know nothing beats the fresh produce we grow ourselves. And our garden is happily producing with plenty more to consume. You can barely notice when we eat out of it as more just keeps filling in. Major win! So thankfully the cooler weather hasn’t slowed it down. But by October Colorado weather starts to get a bit fickle and an early first snow can arrive anytime. So I’m cherishing this next month while the garden lasts!
I’m not going to lie though, these cooler 50-60 degree mornings have me thinking of roasted root veggies and stews. And these thoughts inspired me to celebrate the start of fall by breaking out the crockpot. A nice hearty but not brothy stew of garden veggies and local ground beef. The perfect transition between summer and fall. From our garden I used patty pan, carrots, okra, broccoli, and Japanese eggplant. All seasoned with curry powder, all spice and ginger, and tied together with a can of coconut milk. Serious yum in the tum! And it’s always a bonus when I can say my kids loved it too!
Curry Vegetable and Beef Stew
A stew of fresh garden veggies and local grass fed beef seasoned with curry powder, ginger, and coconut milk.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed/minced
- 1 lb local grass fed ground beef
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon all spice
- 2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger
- 1 large patty pan, chopped into wedges (mine was huge)
- 1 japanese eggplant, chopped into half moons
- 3 large carrots, chopped into bite sized rounds or half moons
- 2 cups okra, chopped into 1" pieces
- handful of broccoli florets
- 1 white sweet potato, chopped into large chunks
- 2 ripe plantains, pretty much black
- 1 can coconut milk
- lime wedges, to serve
- Heat up a tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan. Add onion and cook a few minutes until fragrant. Add the garlic, ground beef, curry powder, and all spice. Brown meat and season with s&p. Place in crockpot.
- To the crock pot add the ginger, patty pan, eggplant, carrots, okra, broccoli, and sweet potato. Pour in the can of coconut milk and season with s&p. Gently mix.
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours.
- 30 minutes before finished peel and chop the plantain into 3" chunks. Gently stir in to crockpot.
- Serve stew with lime wedges.
All veggies except the onion, garlic, and sweet potato came from our garden. Feel free to substitute and use what veggies you like.. bell pepper, celery, zucchini, green beans, etc..
If you prefer spicy food throw in a serrano pepper.
Because I used both sweet potato and plantain I didn't feel the need for a starch but you can always serve this stew with rice or quinoa if desired.