Please don’t mind my less than stellar pictures. I have been documenting most of my meals to share in my weekly Whole30 updates using my phone. I should take the time with my camera, but when we eat late I’m not inspired to take the time to do it right. Lame excuse but deal with it. (That was for you Dad).
The creators of Whole30 offer a handful of recipe suggestions at the end of their book, It Starts with Food. One of them is curry. Not only is it an easy dish to throw together, but numerous proteins and vegetables go great with curry. If you desire you can enjoy a different version each week for easy meal planning. And you can go the curry powder route or the curry paste route, another way to change it up. I’m partial to curry powder. It reminds me of the Caribbean and I like the flavor of the spices more than the heat. I used my crockpot and let the vegetables cook all day. Of course you can quickly cook this all in a pot on the stove too. When it was time for dinner all I had to do was poach the fillets of wild salmon. Why poach? Because it was the quickest method and kept the oven off. If you prefer to roast your salmon go ahead.
Curry Stew with Salmon
- salmon, 2 6oz fillets
- onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 head of cabbage, sliced into thin strips
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 yellow plantain, peeled and chopped
- fresh pineapple, 1-2 cups chopped
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons yellow curry
- 1 teaspoon caribbean curry
- lime juice
- Place onion, garlic, squash, cabbage, carrots, celery, plantain, and pineapple in crockpot. Season with s&p and add coconut milk, chicken stock, and curry powders. Cook on low 6 hours until vegetables are tender.
- Poach salmon in salt water. For two 6oz salmon pieces 3/4” thick- place in slow simmering water and cover. The water should just cover the salmon, and it’s best to use a shallow pot or saucepan. Cook 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and uncover. Let the salmon sit one minute in water, remove, and flake.
- Serve curry stew topped with salmon, avocado, and cilantro. Enjoy with fresh squeezed lime juice.