So I wanted to make some sort of rice salad to be eaten with lettuce wraps. I wasn’t sure where I was going with this recipe until the night I made it as the ingredients in the fridge determined what was going into the dish. I made this last night before bed to marinate in the fridge all day and be eaten for dinner tonight. I made enough for 4 plus extras for leftovers. Since I haven’t been posting as much as I’d like I’m going to post the rice salad today and add the final result pictures tomorrow. Of course I forgot to take pictures of the ingredients uncooked, but this came at no surprise since I cooked this at 11:30 pm.
A little update to the words written above. This caribbean inspired rice salad was sooo good I decided to eat it plain rather than enjoying it with lettuce wraps. And good thing as my lettuce was a bit on the bitter side!!!
- Lundberg Wild Blend(wild & whole grain brown rice), 1 1/3 uncooked
- Vegetable Stock and Water, to cook rice
- 1/2 Onion, chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 2 T Curry Powder
- 1 t Cumin
- 1/4 t Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 T Sesame Oil
- Watermelon Radish, julienned
- Carrot, julienned
- Celery, julienned
- Apple, chopped
- 1 C Currants
- 1/3 C Slivered Almonds, toasted
- 3 T Cilantro, chopped
- 3 T Honey
- Olive Oil
- Mango, chopped
1. Cook rice according to package. I cooked 1 1/3 cups rice using half vegetable stock and half water for the broth.
2. In a large skillet heat some olive oil over medium high heat. Add the curry, cumin, and red pepper flakes. Mix well to season olive oil.
3. Add garlic and onion, cooking 5 minutes until softened.
4. Add apple, celery, carrot, and radish. Continue to cook until veggies are tender crisp. Remove from heat.
5. Stir in toasted slivered almonds, currants, fresh cilantro, s&p, honey, and mango. Lastly add cooked rice. Mix well and taste test. Place in refrigerator overnight to let flavors meddle.