This is what I call cooking three dishes in one pot, crockpot style. I love having a variety of foods to enjoy on Thanksgiving but I cannot be in the kitchen all day cooking. Yes I love to cook but I also like to step away from being a ‘cookerman’ during the holiday. One bonus this year was Cia is at the age to really understand what we were doing. She was my little helper who helped make these pumpkin biscuits. I had been saving a bumble bee apron to give her and this was the perfect day. “Mom thanks so much for my cookerman shirt”…
This year it snowed slightly throughout the day and it was cold, like super cold. And since we are all still a bit sick we decided to spend the day inside. Two off and on cranky kids wore both Josh and I down but it was nice to have a day off from all obligations while having a nice meal at the end of it all. Granted the meal started off with both kids having a meltdown but we ended with smiles and full bellies. This is just before the supreme cryfest..
Each year for Thanksgiving I like to change my meal plan up. Some people stick with tradition but I like to cook new foods each year. Our menu consisted of turkey breast with sweet potatoes and cranberries, balsamic glazed brussel sprouts, persimmon and pomegranate salad, paleo pumpkin biscuits, plantain fritters, and strawberry rhubarb pie (the rhubarb was from our garden!). A bit nontraditional, just like me :).
I must say everything turned out really great. Even though there’s a lot going on, the cooking was really simple and we made things throughout the day.
Crockpot Turkey Breast with Sweet Potatoes & Cranberries
A simple way to prepare cranberries, sweet potatoes, and turkey breast all cooked in the crockpot!
- Peel and cut the sweet potato into extra large chunks. Place in the bottom of the crockpot.
- Season turkey breast generously with 21 salute season and s&p, all sides. If the skin is still on be sure to season underneath it. Place skin side up on top of the sweet potatoes.
- Add the cranberries around the turkey breast.
- Slice orange into 1/2" wheels and arrange on top of the turkey breast.
- Pour about 1/2 cup of water into the crockpot and cook on low 5-6 hours.
- Once turkey is cooked remove from crockpot along with oranges and set aside.
- Scoop out sweet potatoes and cranberries using a slotted spoon and place in a bowl. In a saucepan place the cinnamon, maple syrup, and orange juice. Bring to a low simmer and cook 5 minutes until slightly reduced. Pour evenly over sweet potatoes and cranberries.
- In a small saucepan add 1 1/2 cups of the crockpot juices. Dissolve the arrowroot powder in the water. Heat the pan over medium heat and pour in the arrowroot powder whisking constantly until thickened. It too thick add a bit liquid from the crockpot to thin out. If too thin dissolve a bit more arrowroot powder in water and add to the pan.
- Slice turkey breast and serve on a platter with the orange wedges.
I recently purchased a jar of 21 Salute Seasoning from Trader Joes. It's the most versatile spice blend I've used in quite some time. It's salt free, which I love and goes great with just about anything, Definitely give it a try!