I found this recipe online and decided to fry my first beer batter… link to recipe. Super easy and delicious. Here is the recipe with my modifications.
- 1 C spelt flour
- 1 C beer
- garlic powder
- 1 large eggplant
- oil for frying
- 2 T sesame oil
- large onion, sliced/chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 T fresh ginger, grated
- 3-4 T hoisin sauce
- 2 T soy sauce
1) Peel and chop eggplant into large squares. Salt in a colander for 30 minutes.
2) Make batter: combine beer, flour, pepper, and garlic powder. Whisk together with a fork, but not too much to prevent the beer from going flat.
3) Rinse eggplant and dry with a towel.
4) Heat oil for frying in a skillet. Dredge each piece of eggplant in the batter and fry. Do not overload the pan. Once golden brown on each side place on a cooling rack until serving. (They stay crispy on a cooling rack rather than getting soggy sitting on a plate or paper towel.)
5) Make sauce while eggplant is frying… Sauté the onion in sesame oil until soft. Add the garlic, ginger, and more sesame oil; cook a bit more. Add the rest of the sauce ingredients. Simmer for 5-10 minutes (adding more water if necessary). The sauce will thicken.
6) Serve the fried eggplant wit the sauce on the top.
* We enjoyed this with avocado, patacones (smooshed plantain), and slaw (veganaise, bread & butter pickle juice, salt).