From the title I’m sure you could guess I’ve been dreaming of warm weather – playing with my family at the beach, building sand castles, tasting caribbean flavors, drinking beer.. When’s our next vacation? If only I knew! But we have been enjoying a good taste of spring this month with beautiful days. So I can’t complain, I’m just itching for more!
If you are a lover of coconut and the bright flavors of pineapple and mango this is a recipe for you. Perfect to serve as an appetizer or at a social gathering. Or if you are me, perfect enough for dinner. This was a total winner in our household.
I typically avoid making breaded foods, mainly because I don’t like to deal with messy fingers. Lame I know, but I find it to be a pain to dip chicken in flour, then egg, and then a crumb topping. These chicken tenders proved to be worth the effort, and really it was no effort. I kept coconut flowing through all components using coconut flour, coconut milk, and shredded coconut. I baked these chicken tenders, just enough to cook the chicken through and brown the coconut slightly. They were not dry, the breading was crispy, and the added flavors from the guacamole made it plenty delicious. Avocado, pineapple, mango, lime juice, cilantro – need I say more? Now just fly me down to the islands!
Coconut Chicken Tenders
- 1 1/3 lb chicken tenders, about 15 pieces
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons canned coconut milk
- ~2 cups shredded coconut flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Place coconut flour in a shallow bowl. Season with s&p and smoked paprika. In another shallow bowl scramble the eggs and coconut milk. In a third shallow bowl add 1/2 cup coconut flakes, adding more as you use them up.
- Season both sides of the chicken tenders with salt and pepper.
- One at a time coat each chicken tender in flour, then dip in the egg mixture, followed by coating in coconut flakes. Place on a baking sheet leaving a bit of space in between each tender.
- Bake chicken tenders for 10 minutes flipping half way through.
Pineapple Mango Guacamole
- 1 cup chopped pineapple, 1/4″ pieces
- 1 cup chopped mango, 1/4″ pieces
- 2 avocados
- 1 lime
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Slice avocados in half and remove pits. Score flesh while in skin and scoop out into a bowl.
- Add pineapple, mango, and lime juice. Season with salt and mix well. Lastly stir in cilantro leaves. I used the juice of a whole lime but start with half if desired.