Here is the recipe I created using my cilantro pesto. I am still amazed at how much I liked the taste of this pesto. It’s a bold pesto, which should be no surprise, as we know cilantro is pungent. But the flavor blended into something delicious with the nuts, cheese, garlic, lemon, and olive oil. Perfect when paired with grilled chicken and kale. I used the pesto as a marinade for the chicken and also as a dressing for the salad. I was leaning towards a strawberry, slivered almond, kale salad but Josh preferred a tomato, carrot, cucumber, kale salad.. so that’s what I made. Yum in the tum!
Cilantro Kale and Grilled Chicken Salad
Cilantro pesto marinated grilled chicken served with cilantro pesto kale salad.
- 1 lb chicken
- 1 batch of cilantro pesto
- 1 large bunch of kale
- olive oil
- 2-3 tomatoes
- crispy snap peas (or tortilla chips)
- Season chicken with s&p and toss with a few tablespoons of pesto. Marinate at least 2 hours, I marinated mine overnight.
- Remove kale leaves from stalks. Wash, dry, and chop/tear into bite sized pieces. Place in a large bowl and add the rest of the cilantro pesto, a tablespoon of olive oil, juice of 1/2 the lemon, and season with s&p. Using your hands massage the pesto into the kale leaves. The leaves will start to wilt and reduce in size. Taste and add more lemon juice or s&p if desired.
- Chop the tomatoes, carrots, and cucumbers. Toss in with the kale. Cover and refrigerate.
- Grill chicken over high heat until cooked through. Josh did this for me so I can't give exact times.
- Remove kale salad from the fridge. Slice chicken against the grain and add to the kale.
- Toss in a handful or two of crispy snap peas just before serving.