Yes you read that right. In keeping the pancake train going I wanted some that were sweet! Poor Josh was extremely conflicted over this meal trying to avoid it but no such luck. You see he’s a sugar freak, running from it at every chance. I call them our sugar battles. Overall I have to say it’s awesome to have a partner who cares so much about what goes in to his body, but just sometimes I make him live a little. And once we were eating this meal I was watching him enjoy every last bite! These were not just good eats but @*#&$^% amazing eats.
(Recipe adapted from Cooking Light)
- 1 1/2 c spelt flour
- 3 T sugar
- 1 1/2 t baking powder
- 3/4 t baking soda
- 1/4 t salt
- 1 1/2 c buttermilk
- 1 1/2 t oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- chocolate covered cacao nibs
- agave nectar
- vanilla extract
- maple syrup
1. Prepare strawberries. Chop and place in a bowl adding agave nectar and a very small amount of vanilla extract. Set aside.
2. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. Combine buttermilk, oil, and eggs.
4. Add wet mixture to dry mixture mixing until just blended. Fold in cacao nibs.
5. In a skillet melt some butter and add 1/4 c of batter per pancake. Once bubbles form on the top flip and cook another few minutes.
6. Serve with strawberries and maple syrup!