Yes it is really what it sounds like, amazing dessert breakfast for dinner!! I had to work on Josh’s birthday so I made this the night before since I wouldn’t be able to cook him breakfast.
Chocolate & Banana Stuffed French Toast
- 4 1-inch-thick slices of french bread (I used a french boule)
- mix of both chocolate and carob chips
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 3 T sucanat (or another sweetener)
- 1 t vanilla
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 1/4 t salt
- 2 T butter
- confectioner’s sugar
- banana, sliced thin
- Cut horizontally through each slice of bread to within 1/4 inch of the bottom crust, forming a pocket. Stuff each pocket with the banana slices and chocolate/carob chips, then press the slices closed. Arrange the filled slices in a buttered baking dish.
- Wisk the eggs lightly and then wisk in the milk, sucanat, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt. Pour over the bread and let it soak in for 1o minutes. Carefully turn each sandwich over, cover, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Most of the liquid if not all will be absorbed.
- Preheat the oven to 425° and remove the dish from the fridge for about 15 minutes before baking. Melt butter and pour over the top of the bread. Bake for 25-30 minutes until sandwiches are set and golden brown.
- Serve each slice with confectioner’s sugar.
I was going to sprinkle unsweetened coconut on top right before baking but forgot. Also you can serve with fresh fruit and nuts.