I’ll be honest and say this was my least favorite of my recent chickpea meals. I prefer the creamier texture and richer flavors of the previous recipes. But for those looking for a gluten-free or grain-free tabouli this is definitely a solid recipe. The flavors are good and the taste is close to the same as a traditional tabouli. I think my recipe would be great served in a pita sandwich, vegetarian or not.
We enjoyed this served over a salad of kale, sunflower sprouts, cucumber, and tomato. I made a roasted garlic tahini dressing to serve with it. I really liked this dressing. We all know tahini goes great with chickpeas and I personally love how roasted garlic makes a dressing creamy. So I figured I’d mix the two. The end result was delicious. Thick and flavorful – perfect for kale, and it complimented the chickpea tabouli.
- 25 oz can of chickpeas
- 1/2 cup minced carrot
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
- juice of 1 lemon, maybe more if they are small (~3 to 4 tablespoons)
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Rinse chickpeas well, drain, and lightly try with a paper towel. Smash with a potato masher until most chickpeas are ‘flaked’.
- Add all ingredients and season with s&p.
Roasted Garlic Tahini Dressing
- 2 bulbs garlic roasted
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 lemon, ~3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Remove roasted garlic cloves from bulb and food process with all ingredients. Season with s&p.