My go to egg dish is always frittata. Sauté some vegetables, top with eggs, and bake until cooked through and browned. It really doesn’t get much simpler than this. I made one with shrimp last week and it was a hit. But this week I decided to change it up a bit. I’ve been adding coconut milk to numerous dishes and figured it was time to try it with eggs. I was looking for a more custard like texture than a frittata, something resembling a quiche. Of course since I’m doing the Whole30 this is a crustless quiche, baked in a 9×9 casserole dish.
The weather is $&!^ right now. Cold, grey, and wet. The low last night was 35. Not sort of cold but cold! My main concern was losing some of our garden, particularly the tomatoes, but it seems everything pulled through. Staying true to Colorado style, our weather will be back up in the 70’s and 80’s within a few days. Thankfully this prevents the soil from freezing. I’m really hoping to get another month with our veggies. And I’m not ready to start bundling kids up before leaving the house every day! We spent a good part of this cold front at home. I had plenty of time to play in the kitchen and had fun with this meal. Each ingredient was cooked on it’s own before being added to the quiche.. leftover grilled chicken, roasted potatoes and onion, roasted garlic, steamed pole beans, and pan fried bacon. The eggs were whipped with coconut milk and fresh chives. The bacon, roasted garlic, and chives added plenty of flavor to the quiche. I served it with a pile of steamed chard from our garden and a roasted garlic avocado sauce.
- 3 cups cooked chopped chicken
- 1 bulb garlic
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 5 small potatoes, chopped
- 5 pieces bacon
- large handful of pole beans
- 9 eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Roast garlic bulb. Let cool, remove cloves, and chop. Set aside.
- Toss potatoes and onion in a little olive oil and season with s&p. Roast at 400° until tender and browned, 20-30 minutes.
- Cook bacon in a skillet on low heat until fat is rendered out, crumble and set aside.
- Steam pole beans until just tender. Cool and chop into 1” pieces. Set aside.
- Grease a 9×9 casserole dish with ghee.
- Beat eggs, chives, and coconut milk. Season with s&p.
- Place chicken, potatoes/onion, roasted garlic, green beans, and bacon in casserole dish. Lightly mix.
- Top with egg mixture.
- Bake at 350° until center is set and not jiggly, 30-40 minutes.
- 1 bulb garlic, roasted and cloves removed
- 1 avocado
- 3 tablespoons mayonaise
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Place garlic cloves, avocado, mayonnaise, and lemon juice in food processor. Process until smooth and season with s&p.
- Add water 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.
You can add in fresh parsley if you desire.