No this is not one of those substitution to make a healthier but really tastes like crap recipes. This is the real deal! And oh how I wish I could take credit for it. The base is made from cauliflower. We’ve all heard of cauliflower rice, cauliflower pizza crust, and cauliflower mashed potatoes. All of which are decent but nothing worth raving about. Well let me reassure you this recipe is worth jumping up and down for. The flavor comes from garlic cooked over low heat in a few tablespoons of butter. It’s incredible and ridiculously easy to make. I promise you this recipe takes cauliflower to a whole new level. I can only imagine the endless uses this sauce can take on in your cooking repertoire. I’ve already been planning my next meal. I used an orange cauliflower, hence the orange hue to the sauce. Next round I think I’ll be going the purple route : ).
In general I have never been a huge fan of alfredo sauce due to its richness, but this version you can eat by the spoonful right out of the blender. And yes I did just that. I made mine with dairy but you could easily adapt this to suit your vegan lifestyle. A large head of cauliflower will yield 4 cups of sauce or maybe a little more. I really can’t be sure since I kept spooning it in to my mouth. I had to keep checking to see if it was really that good and not just the initial few bites. I thought we’d have leftover sauce for another meal but it was too yummy and I added it all to the dish. Sautéed fresh local mushrooms, fresh french cut green beans, and fresh rosemary with pasta. And of course fresh grated pecorino romano on top. I could not have been happier! And I wasn’t the only one, Josh and Cia both gave their stamps of approval too.
Thank you Pinterest for a win!
Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce (slightly adapted, original recipe here)
- 8 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5-6 cups cauliflower florets (I used an orange cauliflower)
- 6-7 cups broth or water
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- In a small skillet melt the butter over low heat. Once warm add the garlic and cook until it is soft and fragrant. Set aside. You do not want brown or burnt garlic!
- Meanwhile heat up the broth or water to a boil. I added Better Than Bouillon vegetable base to my water. Next time I will use Better Than Bouillon chicken base for a little extra flavor. Add the cauliflower and cook until fork tender 7-10 minutes. Do not drain.
- Scoop out the cauliflower with a slotted spoon and transfer to a blender. Add 1 cup of the cauliflower water, the garlic/butter, s&p. I used 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Blend until smooth adding more water if necessary. I added in another 1/3 cup of water.
* Sauce is to be served hot. I made mine a few hours in advance so I poured the sauce into a container and let it sit until dinner. Once the rest of the dish was prepared I mixed the sautéed veggies, cooked pasta, and cauliflower sauce together in a large pan. I added the 1/4 cup of heavy cream and heated through. If you intending to use this right away go ahead and add the cream to the blender.