Here’s how it went: I had a pile of mushrooms in the fridge. They were intended for a soup. But I am souped out at this point and had no inspiration to make it happen. So I called Josh at work looking for a new dinner idea. He was no help. I made my way to Whole Foods and while there decided I’d cook some sort of meat. Sausages immediately came to mind as they are my favorite. I headed to the meat case and discovered it was my lucky day, the buffalo bratwurst were stocked! You see they normally don’t have them and they are extremely delicious. So a meal came to life. Subs with buffalo brats, mushrooms, onions, and cheese. Yeah yeah not the healthiest of meals but definitely a tasty one. I was a bit worried Josh might not be into my dinner idea but when he came home he was stoked to see what I had going on. He said what came to his mind earlier but did not share with me was a Philly cheese steak of sorts. I love it when our minds sync up!
Buffalo Bratwurst Sub (makes 2 subs)
- 2 links buffalo bratwurst, or any other type of sausage link you desire
- onion, sliced into rounds
- mushrooms, sliced
- olive oil
- mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 2 sub rolls
- Heat up some olive oil over medium low heat and add the onions. Cook them for a while slowly allowing them to soften and lightly brown. Once done set aside.
- Turn up the heat to medium high and add a bit more olive oil. Next cook the mushrooms until their liquid has released and they have started to brown. You can season them if you’d like, Worcestershire sauce comes to mind for a good flavor. Once cooked remove from pan and set aside.
- Turn heat back down to a medium low and add the sausage links. Cook them rotating until all sides are brown. To prevent the casings from splitting do not cook at a high heat. Once cooked through slice into thin rounds on the diagonal.
- Assemble sub. Spread a thin layer of vegenaise on the bread, add sausage slices, mushrooms, and onions, and top with cheese slices. Place in a toaster oven or regular oven broiling until cheese has just melted.