My mouth is watering just thinking about this delicious meal. Most of you know by now that I LOVE and sort of mac and cheese. I do behave though and tend to eat it only on occasion. Seriously if I could eat it weekly I definitely would! I normally indulge in a box of Annie’s, but I was feeling inspired to make my own cheese sauce for this round. To make it interesting and a bit on the healthy side I added in a baked braeburn apple along with some sautéed onion and brussel sprouts. The apple was slightly tart yet sweet balancing out the bitterness coming from the brussel sprouts. I used Organic Valley sharp cheddar cheese for my sauce and both Josh and I were thoroughly happy with the results. Yummy in my tummy!
Apple and Brussel Sprout M&C
- 1 braeburn apple, peeled and chopped
- olive oil
- medium onion, chopped
- brussel sprouts, outer leaves separated and inner heart halved
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon spelt flour
- 14 oz milk
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 lb spiral pasta, I used brown rice (gluten free)
- Put up water to cook pasta. Once boiling cook according to package, drain, rinse, and set aside. Don’t overcook as they will continue to cook a bit while baking.
- Meanwhile, lightly toss chopped apple in oil and bake in a 400° oven for 20 minutes.
- In a sauté pan heat up some olive oil over medium high heat and add the onion. After a few minutes add the brussel sprouts. Continue to cook until lightly browned and tender.
- Make cheese sauce. In a medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and mix creating a roux. Next lower the heat to medium low and add the milk while whisking. Add the cheese in batches, I did 1/3 at a time, continuing to whisk. Only add the next batch of cheese one the first has melted. Sauce should slightly thicken.
- Mix all ingredients together in a large casserole dish, cover with foil and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake for another 5-10 to slightly brown top.
- Mix well and serve with s&p.