I don’t crave hamburgers like many do but every now and then a burger hits the spot! I typically go the cheeseburger route but this is my Whole30 version. Get a little creative and it’s pretty easy to not only skip the cheese but to not even miss it. Yea I just went there. I repeat I did not miss the cheese!
So how did I achieve this? Well I did in style. I made a sort of open face burger. For the ‘bun’ I grilled sweet potato slices. And to take it a step further I tossed them in a lime and cilantro dressing. Thank you Simply Recipes for this! The burgers are local bison seasoned with s&p and garlic powder. The fixings include grilled onion, crispy bacon, and guacamole. And a bit of lettuce and garden tomato on the side. My mouth is watering just thinking about how good this meal was. So get creative with your food. It sounds like a lot to prepare but it’s really not. The grill did most of the cooking and guacamole is more than easy to make. No excuses people, eat vital and colorful food!
Bison Burger, Whole30 Approved (makes 4)
- 1lb ground buffalo
- 4 slices bacon
- garlic powder
- 2 large sweet potato, sliced on the diagonal
- 1 large onion, sliced into 4 rounds
- 2 avocados
- lime zest and juice (1 tsp zest, 2 T juice)
- cilantro 1/4 cup
- olive oil 1/4 cup + more
- tomato, chopped
- romaine lettuce, chopped
- Cook bacon in a skillet over low heat until most of the fat is rendered out. Set on a paper towel lined plate.
- Mix ground buffalo with s&p and a few dashes of garlic powder. Form into 4 patties and place in fridge.
- Slice sweet potatoes on the diagonal. Coat with olive oil and salt. Grill high heat, until tender ~10 minutes per side.
- Mix lime zest from whole lime, juice from half lime, 1/4 cup olive oil, and most of the chopped cilantro. Season with salt. When sweet potatoes are done, toss them in this lime cilantro mixture. Set aside.
- Grill onion rounds and bison burgers.
- Make guacamole – roughly chop avocado and mix with a squeeze of lime juice, rest of the cilantro, a splash of olive oil, and a dash of salt.
- Place lettuce and tomato on plate. Lay two slices of sweet potato and top with bison burger. Cut onion in half, place on the burger, and crumble bacon on top. Lastly pile on the guacamole.