I just realized beans and rice is really our only staple meal. I’m not one for eating the same food over and over but this dish somehow bypasses my food rules. Maybe it’s because Josh loves it and asks for it every week. I tend to give in because it really is good. And maybe it’s because we ate beans and rice everyday for two months while living in Panama. Whatever the reason this dish makes us both happy. So here’s to another round of beans and rice : ).
We recently made the switch to cooking only brown rice. I have no idea what took us so long to get one board but for whatever reason neither of us were really into it. I know we thought the 50 minute cooking time was kind of a bummer, especially if you forgot to start the rice. But otherwise I can’t think of why we avoided it for so long. Josh was always our rice cooker. It seemed whenever I had the task it would never come out right. Too mushy most of the time. And then about six months or so ago Josh lost his touch. His rice started coming out mushy and he lost his desire to cook it. So now I’m the rice cooker. Brown rice is a much better option health wise and a great food when breast feeding. I’m proud to say I have figured out how to cook the perfect brown rice. I use a little less water than you’re supposed to, add a bit of salt, and a splash of oil. The grains turn out perfect, slightly chewy with each grain holding its shape.
Beans & Rice
- 1 cup brown rice uncooked
- 1 teaspoon achiote seeds, optional
- 2 cans black beans with liquid
- 1 choyote, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- garlic, minced
- 1 link chicken chorizo sausage
- dried oregano
- avocado, to serve
- Cook rice. In a pan heat up a splash of olive oil. Add the achiote seeds and cook until red seasoning has infused oil and the seeds are black. Scoop out seeds and discard. Add brown rice, 1 3/4 cups of water, and a bit of salt. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer for 50 minutes.
- In a pan place 1 cup of water and sausage link. Cover and steam until cooked through, maybe 10-15 minutes. Remove sausage link, cool, and slice. I wanted mine in half moons.
- Add a bit of oil to pan and sauté onion and garlic a few minutes. Add choyote and continue to cook 5 minutes. Add beans with their liquid, sausage, s&p, and a dash or two of dried oregano. Bring mixture to a simmer and cook 15 minutes. The sausage link I used was well seasoned and added plenty to the dish so I didn’t need chili powder or cumin.
- Serve beans and rice in a bowl topped with fresh avocado.