Beans & Rice with Patacones
- olive oil
- kale, chopped
- Joshua's salt seasoning (garlic salt, powdered oregano, tumeric)
- onion, chopped
- garlic, chopped
- tomato, diced
- carrot, sliced
- can black beans
- green plantain, sliced into 1/2-1" slices
- high heat oil
- avocado, to serve
- Sauté the kale in some olive oil and season with Joshua’s salt seasoning. Once wilted set it aside.
- In the same pan sauté the chopped onion and garlic in a bit more olive oil. Added the diced tomato and carrot. Season with oregano, cumin, coriander, and s&p. Once seasoned add the can of beans with the liquid. Let this mixture simmer until the beans softened and the sauce thickened.
- Meanwhile cook white rice in broth.
- Next make patacones (fried plantain). (We have been borrowing our friends plantain smoosher for a little while and this is the crucial piece!) Heat some high heat oil in a skillet. Once the oil is hot add the plantain and cook until each side is light brown.
- Then remove each slice from the oil, smoosh, and add back to the oil.
- Fry once more until browned and crispy. Let them cool on a wire rack to remain crunchy and season with salt.
- Serve with avocado on top.
One thing I love about beans and rice is each time I make this dish I do something different. Beans are extremely versatile and can take on any flavor intended.
Rice, Black Beans, Arugula, Broth, Carrot, Tomato, Onion, & Garlic