I wish I could take credit for this salad but I cannot. So thank you Primally Inspired for the awesome idea. It’s basically a BBQ bacon burger in salad form, minus the bun. I added in all my favorite fixings – avocado, tomato, bacon, and pickles. Yes pickles. It may sound weird but trust me it’s delicious. The original recipe included mustard but I didn’t see the need. For me it’s BBQ sauce or mustard but not both.
For those who enjoy eating a paleo diet don’t brush this recipe off. Even if you don’t lean towards the paleo persuasion still consider making this. It’s a perfect solution to satisfying your BBQ bacon burger craving. And it’s quick to make. Always, always a plus! I used my own homemade BBQ sauce for this recipe, creating ‘saucy’ ground beef. Everything came together perfectly, definitely a winning meal. I would have never thought to make BBQ sauce ground beef and add it to a salad. But why not? It’s a nice change up that will be added into the meal rotation.
BBQ Burger Salad, serves 4
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 slices of bacon
- 3-4 heads romaine
- 2 avocados, chopped
- 16 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 8 dill pickle spears, chopped
- In a large saute pan heat up olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook 5 minutes until fragrant. Add ground beef and brown. Once browned add BBQ sauce and simmer another 10 minutes. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- Meanwhile cook bacon of low heat rendering out fat. Once cooked set aside on a paper towel lined plate.
- Chop lettuce and place in 4 bowls. Top with ground beef, avocados, tomatoes, pickles, and bacon.