My original idea was to make this dish en papillote but once I got started I realized I had way too much to fit into two parchment packets. No big deal. Instead I baked everything in a large pyrex dish. I didn’t put much thought into this but threw together a few ingredients and had a nice end result. Portobellos, grape tomatoes, buffalo bratwurst, fresh basil, onion, garlic, lemon zest, and white wine. For something different I sliced my portobellos super thin. I normally cut them into thicker strips, but after this dish I think I prefer them thin. It almost seemed as if they were the pasta for this rustic tomato ‘sauce’. My intention was to buy turkey Italian sausage but Whole Foods had buffalo stocked, and when they have buffalo it’s too good to pass up!
Baked Tomato & Portobello
- package grape tomatoes
- 2 large portobellos, sliced super thin
- 2 buffalo bratwurst or Italian sausages
- onion, sliced thin
- garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- zest of 1 lemon
- white wine
- olive oil
- pecorino romano
- Over low heat cook the buffalo bratwurst rotating until just cooked through. Once cooled slice on the diagonal.
- Meanwhile slice half of the cherry tomatoes in half, and roughly chop the other half. Place in a bowl.
- To the tomatoes add the onion, garlic, basil, lemon zest, white wine (a splash or two), and s&p.
- Lightly coat a large pyrex dish with oil. Layer in the portobellos and top with the sliced buffalo bratwurst. Lastly top with the tomato mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake in a 400° oven for 40 minutes or until tomatoes have started to wrinkle and ‘sauce’ is bubbling.
- Serve topped with pecorino romano.
*You can easily omit the sausage for a vegetarian dish and serve over pasta or rice.