I’m sitting here bribing my children with whipped cream to eat this dinner. Granted it’s homemade very lightly sweetened whipped cream, but yea yea I know this isn’t the smartest way to get your kids to eat. In all honestly I have no idea why. Well the bribing part I know why but the complaining about the dinner part I don’t get. This meal is really good. It’s flavorful without being too overpowering and this is a meal they would normally eat. Cia is even trying to pull out some tears to get out of it. But when I ask her what’s wrong she says “nothing’s wrong” in her pity me voice. Actually we figured it out, she’s not a fan of the feta. Easy fix and she’s happily eating. Much better :). At least for one. Cash is eating while chugging water after every bite. He’s getting it down though right? Haha life with kids!
This is an easy dinner to throw together on any night. Chicken thighs, fre.. oh wait now it’s “Mom I don’t like this chicken and green stuff. Just make it for yourself.” Haha. Anyway chicken thighs, fresh dill, baby san marzano tomatoes, lemon zest and juice, kalamata olives, garlic, and sheep’s milk feta. I love few ingredient dinners that come together to make something delicious! And my kids ended up being part of the clean plate club.
Baked Dill and Tomato Chicken
Fresh dill and lemon juice flavor this easy baked chicken dish!
- 1 1/2 lbs bonesless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 2 cloves garlic.
- few sprigs of fresh dill, plus more to serve
- 10 oz baby san marzano tomatoes (I get these at Trader Joe's)
- 1/4 pitted kalamata olives
- 2 oz feta cheese, sheep's milk
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Coat a large 9x13 pyrex dish with oil, I use coconut oil spray. Season both sides of the chicken with s&p and place in a single layer in the dish.
- Zest the lemon with a microplane over the chicken thighs. Do the same with the garlic cloves.
- Mince dill and sprinkle a bit over the chicken thighs. Reserve some.
- Halve half of the marzano tomatoes and layer throughout the chicken. I like mine to roast cut side up. Halve the kalamata olives and add to the dish.
- Juice the whole lemon over all the ingredients.
- Blend the remaining half of the tomatoes with a tablespoon of dill. Top the chicken with this sauce.
- Lastly crumble on feta.
- Bake dish uncovered for 30 minutes. Broil another 5 to lightly brown.
- Serve topped with a bit more fresh dill.
Serve this over mashed cauliflower! (Steam cauliflower until tender and blend with a bit of ghee, coconut milk, s&p, and seasoning of your choice)