If cooked correctly I happen to love eggplant. I tend not to cook it though since Josh isn’t completely on board. So here I tried my fate with an Indian eggplant dish. It ended up being AWESOME! I was pretty shocked at how easy it was to make considering I don’t attempt much with Indian spices. I used lots of tomatoes and also peas which was key for Josh. I prefer it heavy on the eggplant but no complaints with the final result! Traditionally baingan bharta is a vegetarian dish from the Punjab region of India and Pakistan. It is made from eggplant, which is grilled over charcoal or direct fire to impart a smoky flavour to the flesh of the eggplant and then cooked with spices and vegetables.
- 2 medium eggplants
- 1 onion, chopped
- garlic, minced
- chili powder
- garam masala
- olive oil
- frozen peas, ~1 c
- 14 oz can of fire roasted tomatoes (I use petite diced with roasted garlic)
- pita, to serve
1. Preheat oven to broil. Brush eggplant with olive oil and place on the bottom rack of the oven and cook turning as skin starts to blacken. Once eggplant is soft and fully blackened run under cold water. Cool, peel, and mash. Set aside.
2. In a medium skillet heat up some olive oil and add the onion. Cook until tender and slightly browned. Add the spices. I used about 1/2 t chili powder, 1/2 t turmeric, 1 1/2 t garam masala, and a bit of s&p.
3. Add can of tomatoes, mix well, and cook until tender and slightly reduced.
4. Add eggplant mix well and cook for a few minutes. Taste test and adjust seasonings if necessary. I only needed a bit more salt.
5. Lastly add the peas and cook until tender.
6. Serve with pita (or rice for gluten free).