I have never been a fan of alfredo sauce. Well in thought I’m a fan, but in terms of eating rich foods and then feeling heavy in the stomach, no thanks! This is my first attempt at making an alfredo sauce and I opted for a vegan version. I did use real parmesan instead of vegan parmesan, but that’s only because I am not a vegan and I do love the power of cheese. Have you ever looked at the container of soy vegan parmesan? The ingredients are yuck! Half of them are chemicals and the way I look at it is, if you are vegan there’s a pretty good chance many of the meat/dairy substitutes end up being worse for you than eating the real thing! If you are going to make this meal vegan I recommend using nutritional yeast flakes as your ‘cheese’. (You can also food process walnuts, yeast flakes, and salt to make vegan parmesan).
- 1/4 C Olive Oil, plus more for sautéing
- 3 T Flour (I used spelt)
- 1-1 1/4 C Almond Milk
- 3 T Parmesan, or Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- Shrooms, I used the rest of a jar I had
- Green Onion
- Bragg Liquid Aminos
- Pasta, I used rice
1) Chop veggies (garlic, green onion, broccolini). Sauté the garlic and green onion in some olive oil. Once they start to soften add the broccolini.
2) Heat water to cook pasta.
3) While watching the broccolini make the sauce. Heat 1/4 C olive oil and 3 T flour stirring until it starts to turn beige. Add 1 C almond milk and the cheese of your choice. Stir it as it thickens. Mine ended up thickening a bit too much so I added another 1/4 C of almond milk. Add the s&p. Taste and season anymore if necessary. Add the shrooms and set aside.
4) Season the broccolini with a bit of the liquid aminos and cook the pasta.
5) I tossed the cooked pasta with a small amount of olive oil to prevent from sticking. To assemble top the pasta with the broccolini, then the alfredo sauce, and lastly with the garlic/green onion bits from sautéing the broccolini.