True to my word I’m slowly finishing off the last few salads. Here I made a basmati rice salad for my family. They have never had cooked cucumber and I wanted to show them how delicious it is. Basmati rice is one of my favorites. I find it super light and fluffy in texture and also light in the stomach. The basil and oregano used in this recipe were grown by my Dad. When cooking basmati rice you low boil it uncovered until tender, then drain and rinse. This prevents it from becoming gummy and starchy. I serve this room temperature so I cook the rice first, but feel free to serve it warm or cold.
- Grape Tomatoes
- Red Onion
- Kalamata Olives
- Lime Juice
- Lime Zest
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Basmati Rice
- Olive Oil
1. Prep vegetables.
- Tomato: chop, salt, and set aside
- Chayote: peel, deseed, and chop
- Cucumber: peel, deseed, and slice into half moons
- Asparagus: chop into relatively small pieces
- Onion: chop
- Garlic: mince
- Fresh Herbs: chop
- Avocado: chop, toss with fresh lime juice, and set aside
2. Cook rice according to directions. I used Tilda brand and I find this to be one of the best. Once finished set aside. Since the sieve was too small to hold the amount of rice I cooked I lined a colander with some coffee filters.
3. Heat some olive oil in a large sauté pan. Add red pepper flakes and when warm add onion. Mix well and add garlic. Cook five minutes.
4. Add chayote and continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
5. Add cucumber and asparagus. Season with s&p and continue to cook.
6. Add capers and chopped kalamata olives. I wanted the flavor to really come through so I also added about 2 T of the olive brine and about 1 T of the caper brine. Cook off liquid. The cucumbers are cooked when they lose their raw cucumber flavor and are tender crisp. Be aware as they will get mushy if overcooked.
7. Add fresh herbs. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
8. In a large bowl add rice and veggie mixture. Zest lime into bowl and mix. Top with fresh tomatoes and avocado.
The was a winner with my family. They rarely eat white rice and were pleased with the results. The meal was satisfying but light; perfect for hot weather!